Bring some wow factor to the dinner table with this Steamed Chicken With Ginger And Green Onions (薑蔥霸王雞).
The ginger and green onion oil and secret sauce take this chicken to a whole new level.
In my opinion, this is the superior version of the Cantonese white cut chicken (白切雞).
Chinese Chicken With Ginger And Green Onions
Frequently Asked Questions About Steamed Chicken With Ginger And Green Onions
What can I serve this dish with?
Can I prepare this in advance?
Yes. You can prepare the chicken in advance. Prepare and pour the hot oil over the cooled chicken just before serving.
Can this dish be frozen?
Yes. This can be frozen for up to 3 months. To serve, simply thaw and reheat in the microwave.
Steamed Chicken With Ginger And Green Onions
- 1 Whole Chicken 1.6KG
- Large Piece Of Ginger
- 10 Green Onions
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Shiaoshing Wine
- 2 Red Chilies
- 1/4 Cup Shallot Thinly Sliced
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Chicken Juice
- Rinse and trim off fat from chicken, drain and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Rub salt onto the chicken as well as inside the cavity.
- Put chicken in Ziploc bag and leave in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Let chicken come to room temperature before steaming.
- Bring the water in the steamer to a fast boil.
- Rub the Shiaoshing wine into the cavity of the chicken, then put 3 slices of ginger and strips of 2 green onions into the chicken cavity.
- Steam the chicken, breast down, for 25 minutes at medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and leave the chicken in the steamer with the lid on for 25 minutes.
- Discard the ginger and green onions from the cavity; reserve the juice and let the chicken cool completely for about 2 hours.
- Finely slice a cup of ginger, the rest of the green onions, and the red chilies.
- Skim off excess oil from the chicken juice, and add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size when it is completely cooled.
- Heat oil to medium, add the shallots, and stir fry until fragrant, then pour half the oil and the shallots over the chicken.
- Top the chicken with green onions and chilies.
- Saute the sliced ginger in the remaining oil till fragrant, pour the ginger and oil onto the bed of green onions.
- Heat the sauce till boiling and then pour it evenly over the chicken.