Who says veggie dishes have to be plain and bland? Try making this gorgeous Lotus Root Stir Fry.
Bring your dish to life using a variety of textures, colors, flavors.
This vegetarian stir fry is sure to please everyone at the dinner table—even those who despise veggies.
Lotus Root Stir Fry
Lotus root is a versatile vegetable that can be used in many Cantonese dishes.
It has a natural sweetness to it with a big satisfying crunch—perfect for stir-fried dishes.
In this recipe, I’m using green beans, carrots, black fungus, and shiitake mushrooms.
But feel free to customize the recipe using your favorite vegetables.
Sugar snap peas, mushrooms, celery, and bell peppers would work fantastically.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lotus Root Stir Fry
What can I serve this dish with?
Serve this dish with a main dish like Braised Chicken With Shiitake Mushroom and Black Fungus (冬菇燜雞).
Pair it with Chinese Steamed Eggs (蒸水蛋) to keep your meal vegetarian.
Can I prepare this in advance?
Yes. You can prepare this in advance and reheat it to serve. However, it is best served fresh.
Can this dish be frozen?
Yes. This can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply thaw and reheat to serve.
Lotus Root Stir Fry
- 375 Grams Fresh Lotus Root Peeled And Thinly Sliced
- 150 Grams Green Beans Stringed And Halved
- 1/2 Cup Black Fungus Softened And Stems Removed
- 1/3 Cup Carrot Slices
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 Tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Shaoshing Wine
- Bring a pot of water to boil for blanching the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the sauce.
- Peel and slice the lotus root and carrots thinly, string, and halve the green beans.
- Blanch the lotus root, green beans, black fungus, and carrots in boiling water for 1 minute, drain thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a pan until very hot then add the vegetables and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger and garlic, continue to stir fry till fragrant.
- Drizzle the Shaoshing wine along the edge of the pan, stir well.
- Add the sauce and continue sautéing until the sauce thickens and coats the vegetables, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.