This Chinese Cabbage and Pork Soup is the perfect dish to make when you’re in the mood for a lazy man’s hot pot.
This recipe is versatile and you have the freedom to add whatever ingredients you like.
This warm and hearty stew is one of my household’s favorite dishes to enjoy especially during the cold winter months.
What is Chinese Cabbage and Pork Soup?
Chinese cabbage and pork soup is a hot pot-style dish that can be served on its own with a side of white rice.
This recipe is highly customizable so feel free to make it your own by adding your favorite hot pot ingredients.
My favorites are Chinese radishes, fried tofu balls, and fried tofu skin.
You can also make this dish vegetarian by skipping the pork and adding more veggies instead. Some great pairings are shiitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, corn, carrots, and tofu.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I serve this dish with?
This dish can be served on its own with rice.
Can I prepare this in advance?
No. This dish tastes the best fresh off the stove.
Can this dish be frozen?
No. Veggies like napa cabbage do not freeze well.
Chinese Cabbage and Pork Soup
- 8 Cups Napa Cabbage Medium Sliced
- 4 Cups Chinese White Radish Cut Into Medium Strips
- 1/2 Packet Fried Tofu Balls
- 1/2 Packet Fried Tofu Skin
- 400 Grams Sliced Pork For Hot Pot
- 3 Slices Ginger
- 2 Garlic Cloves Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander
- 1/4 Cup diced Green Onions
- 4 Cups Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Combine seasonings, mix into meat gently and leave for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain napa cabbage slices.
- Peel, rinse, and cut radish into medium strips.
- Rinse tofu balls and tofu sticks in hot water, gently squeeze dry and cut into halves.
- Heat oil in the pot to medium, add ginger and saute until fragrant, then add garlic.
- Add radish, turn heat to medium-high, and saute for 1 minute, add 1 tsp sugar and saute for another minute.
- Add napa cabbage and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tofu balls, and tofu sticks, cover pot, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10minutes, or until radish is tender.
- Meanwhile, boil 4 cups of water in another pot and turn the heat off.
- Add meat, loosen gently, drain as soon as meat changes color but still slightly pink.
- Return meat to stew and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, sesame oil, fish sauce, coriander, and green onions.